Friday, January 22, 2010

Week 2

This week we continued learning about the History of Latin America. Last week we learned about the conquest of Spain and Portugal, and this week we learned about the colonization and beginning of independence. The last subject we talked about was the independence of Haiti in which the African's brought over by the French took over and then were forced to pay for the land, because of this Haiti has been one of the poorest countries in the world. Don't you think that the french should step up and help Haiti get it's feet off the ground after the devastation from the earthquake? I do.

In Jins, the class finished going through our identity pie charts (including me). I was terribly nervous talking about myself and look forward to getting to meet my class the more traditional way- we're having a big pot-luck this week :o) We also started going over everyone's discipline presentations and will be finishing them on Tuesday.

I got my immunizations finally taken care of today and my nurse was extremely nice. Passport health even gave me a wonderful packet with a lot of health information about Panama.

I'm working on still learning the different frogs of Panama, but it is getting a little harder with my laptop at ITS. Additionally, Courtney and me have both been reading a lot of literature on the frog decline which is really depressing but also really motivating me to want to do this research even more. I have spent a lot of time looking at savethefrogs.com. In addition to trying and get Kerry Kriger to come to Truman, I also plan on hosting a Save the Frogs Day event at Truman with The Wildlife Club in order to spread awareness about the amphibian decline occuring globally, encouraging students and faculty to get involved and help, and share my experience in Panama.

PS. I'm obsessed with the color orange, I actually started hoarding all of my older brother's orange hot wheels, crayons, etc. before I learned how to talk. I have an orange room, orange clothes, orange shoes, orange blankets, orange nickname (hence my blog site), and a boyfriend with the last name Orange.

No comments:

Post a Comment